This is a basic tart shell for sweets, like my lemon tart. It would make a great base for a range of other fillings as well, like a chocolate ganache or frangipane with fruit. This one is grain free, relying on nut flour and coconut as the base. It holds up very well, and is a cinch to make. Just whirl a few ingredients together in the food processor, and there you go!
- 1½ cups almond or hazelnut flour
- ½ cup shredded coconut
- ½ teaspoon course salt
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted if not soft
- 2 tablespoons honey or maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In a food processor, pulse together the nut flour, coconut, and salt.
- If your coconut oil is hard, melt it quickly on the stove at a low temperature, then add it to the food processor along with maple syrup or honey.
- Process until all ingredients are incorporated. It will be crumbly.
- Press crumbs evenly on bottom and sides of a lightly oiled tart pan.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until golden brown in color.