This soup is vibrant and flavorful, and packed full of greens. It will make you feel like a goddess.
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons of olive oil or butter
- 1/4 cup dry white wine (or more broth)
- 3 cloves of garlic, roughly chopped
- 2 bunches of greens (kale, swiss chard, collards, spinach, or other dark leafy green) roughly chopped
- 1 small bunch of cilantro, roughly chopped
- 2 medium sized potatoes, chopped into one-inch cubes
- 5-6 cups chicken (or vegetable) broth (I like using homemade bone broth here to add depth to the falvor)
- 2-3 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- juice from 1/2 lemon
- salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large pot, caramelize the onions and garlic by adding them to a skillet with the olive oil (or butter), and cooking at low heat for 15- 20 minutes.
- When the onions finish cooking, add in the white wine (or broth) and scrape the bottom to remove any brown bits.
- Add in the greens, cilantro, potato, and broth. Bring mixture to a boil on medium heat, and then simmer for about 15-20 minutes, covered, until the potato is very tender.
- With a blender, carefully puree the soup until smooth. Put soup back on heat. Season with a couple teaspoons of cayenne pepper and a good squeeze of lemon juice, plus a bit more salt and pepper to taste. Enjoy!